The History of
Locust Fork High School
From 1839- 1841, children attended school during the summer months between the time of planting and harvest. During this time Lewis White, Nicholas Hudson, and John Huffstutler served as commissioners of the school.
On December 24, 1841, the commissioners started their two year collection of 244 dollars which went toward financing the school.
The first school in the Locust Fork community was established in 1841.
It was taught in a Methodist church called "The Tabernacle."
The next school was built in the area where Pine Bluff Church now stands.
The school was called Pine Bluff School.
The first school on the current site was built in 1923 at a cost of 1,250 dollars it was a three room building that housed first through tenth grade.
It was called
Locust Fork School. An additional classroom was added in 1924 that cost 400 dollars.
Mr. James E. Pass was the first principal.
Mr. Homer Good operated the first school bus. The bus was covered with a tarp to help keep them warm in the winter.
Two more buses were added in 1928.
In 1928 two more classrooms were added making a total of eight classrooms.
From 1933 until he became Superintendent of Education in 1937, Mr. William F. Maynor was Principal of Locust Fork.
On February 27, 1931, a delegation from Locust Fork met with the Blount
County Board of Education to ask for a high school, but no action was
taken until 1937.
In 1937,a new building was constructed allowing classes to go through the eleventh grade.
The class of 1938 was the first graduating class of Locust Fork High
School. Also, in 1938 our football team won the county championship.
A communication system was installed in the school. On April 22, 1940,
Mr. Blackwood, who was principal, informed the school that Locust Fork
High had been fully accredited.
The basketball team won the county championship for the 1940, 1941, and 1945 seasons.
In 1949, the Vocational Agricultural and Home Economics Departments
were added to the campus.
The first agriculture teacher was Mr. Grover Crider and Mrs. Erma Etridge was the first home economics teacher.
Tragedy struck Locust Fork when it burned on January 10, 1961.
When the school caught fire, firefighters from Oneonta and local volunteers pumped water from near by fish ponds to extinguish the fire.
The Elementary school housed the 359 high school students for a brief time.
were set up in available chicken houses, barns and school buses were used. In
the spring, graduation was held on schedule.
The school was rebuilt
and in the 1970's several additions were made including a new gym, a
new elementary wing, and the band room. The school also added two new
high school rooms and four elementary rooms which were completed in
Eight additional classrooms were completed in 1998. Ten more classrooms
were added in 2000.
In 2006, major improvements were made to the campus including a new cafetorium, 7 new classrooms and a new science lab.